Sunday, November 8, 2009

AHA Atlanta Heart Walk

Yesterday I walked in the American Heart Association's Atlanta Heart Walk. Each year, the company I work for raises money for the AHA and we always attend the Heart Walk. In years past I have always walked in memory of my grandparents who suffered from heart disease but this year I walked in memory of another someone special.
If you follow my blog at all you will know that this past summer my Uncle Grady passed away. He was a man larger than life and lived his life to the fullest. He suffered from Congestive Heart Failure and in May went in for surgery. After about 2 months of fighting he lost the battle. (But God gained an angel that day!) His surgery had gone well, but his other organs failed him.
He was diagnosed early on in life with this disease and yet still lived a full life. He walked 5 miles a day and exercised more than anyone I can remember. Even the day before his surgery he walked 1 mile! So, this year I walked in memory of Uncle Grady!
I raised close to $300.00! Thank you to all who donated! The walk is a 5k and in years past it has taken me close to 1 1/2 hours to complete it. (Mostly because it's quite crowded and I was walking at a leisurely pace.) This year I set a high goal for myself. I decided that if Uncle Grady could walk 1 mile the day before his surgery I could do the 5k in under an hour! Now if you know me at all, you know that I don't run. I do, on occasion, walk, but never have I ran any distance. Nor did I train for this in any sort of way. (Yes, I know, not very smart.) But, I am happy to report that I "power" walked most of it and jogged the last 1/2 mile or so and finished in 50 minutes! Here are the few pictures I took!

The Fox5 Crew welcoming everyone!


And the walk begins! LOTS of people! You can somewhat see the Olympic rings!

I survived!

0 comments:

About Me

My Photo
Melissa
I am a 28 year old who loves life. I've lived thru a lot of heartache but choose everyday to look on the bright side and praise God for all of the things He has given me! I am living on my own and enjoying the experience of being a homeowner! And I cannot forget the 2 pups who keep me quite entertained, Hershey the Cocker Spaniel and Chloe the Shih Tzu.
View my complete profile

Chloe

Chloe
Don't let her sweet face fool you!

Hershey

Hershey
All boy and loves the ladies!

Followers

 
Background by Jennifer Furlotte / Pixels and IceCream